As the adult education program leader or member of the leadership team, have you made a New Year’s resolution to model continuous and measurable improvement in order to be the best version of yourself professionally? Here is a sampling of the PD Center for Educational Leadership and Strengthening ABE Programs winter offerings:
Helping Your Program SOAR (Supporting Observations and Reflection) Webinars
This series of quarterly webinars supports program directors and members of their leadership teams in observing and providing feedback to educators at their programs.
Prerequisite: Directors and their leadership teams registering for this webinar must have done at least one of the following:
- Attended Building ABE Teachers Capacity for Success, the PD Center for Educational Leadership and Strengthening ABE Programs instructional leadership series
- Graduated from the two-year Massachusetts ABE Leadership Academy
The next webinar will take place on Wednesday, January 24, from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m. Visit the SABES Event page to learn more or to register.
Directors Learn and Share
This statewide session focuses on current issues facing directors; there will be a short resource to read and discuss. The next session will be held February 7 (snow date: February 14) at Brockton Adult Learning Center. The agenda is set a few weeks prior to the session; if you have questions or an agenda topic, please contact Sue Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Foundations for New Staff: Overview of the Adult Education Field and The Art of Teaching
Overview of the Adult Education Field is a five-hour online, asynchronous course, starting the first of every month. It is a prerequisite for The Art of Teaching.
Here is what past participants have said about The Art of Teaching:
- “The dynamics of professionalism, fun, and knowledge of the presenters was a highlight of the training.”
- “Excellent workshop! I see the purpose of what I learned. I came out of it feeling more confident and inspired!”
- “The presenters were open to teacher sharing, feedback, and questions.”
The Art of Teaching is a multi-day, 10-hour course comprised of nine hours of face-to-face time and one hour of online work. It is offered throughout the winter and spring.
- Quincy: January 20 and February 3 (snow date: February 10)
- Worcester: February 9 and March 2 (snow date: March 9)
Please note: The Worcester training is already near capacity. If it is full by the time you register, you will receive an email saying that you have been added to the wait list.
- Holyoke: March 10 and March 24 (snow date: April 7)
- Devens: April 10, April 24, and May 8 (three evening sessions)
Volunteer Management Online Learning
In FY17, in response to feedback from the field, the SABES PD Center for Educational Leadership and Strengthening ABE Programs offered face-to-face and online learning sessions for Volunteer Managers. In this fiscal year, we are offering a two-part online learning session, scheduled for February 15 and April 5, 1–2:30 p.m. Participants will be asked to complete a program self-assessment in between the two sessions (estimated to take not more than an hour).
- Session 1: Volunteer Profiles: A New Lens on Volunteer Management (February 15)
We know about learner profiles, but what about volunteer profiles? Understanding why people volunteer with us, what background they bring, and what they hope to gain from the experience can help us shape effective recruitment, training, supervision, and recognition. In the first session of this two-part online training, we’ll introduce the idea of volunteer profiles and the implications for recruitment, using The Literacy Project in Western Massachusetts as a case study.
- Session 2: Applying Volunteer Profiles to Your Program (April 5)
In this session, participants will apply the idea of volunteer profiles to their own programs. We’ll also look at how training, supervision, and recognition can follow the same framework.
We are currently finalizing our spring offerings:
- The Art of Hiring and Parting Ways (April 10–May 10, 2018)
- Continuous Improvement Planning: An Overview (May 1–May 30, 2018)
- The Tech-Savvy Administrator (date TBD)
More information coming soon to the SABES Calendar!