the sample lesson plan below, notice that the teacher has
used standards from the Curriculum Frameworks to inform her planning. In fact, she has used standards
from both a content framework (in this case Health)
and a skills framework (Mathematics and Numeracy).
This particular plan could be one of a series devoted to preventative health.
Name of Topic: Prevention
Name of Lesson: Nutrition
How does this lesson relate to student goals and interests?: Students
expressed concern about healthy eating habits for themselves
and for their children.
Learning Objective(s): What will the students know (content)
and be able to do (skills) as a result of the activity (-ies)?
Students will be able to plan at least one nutritious
meal based on FDA recommendations.
- Students will be able to understand nutrition information on a
product label and calculate/estimate fat content by portion
with 80% accuracy.
Part One - Healthy Meal Planning
- Research latest FDA nutrition recommendations online.
- Relate traditional foods to food groups described.
- Using paper plates, sketch out an evening meal divided by traditional
foods, portions, and the food groups to which they belong.
- Evaluate and analyze with FDA information.
Part Two - Using Nutrition Information on Labels
- Read and discuss nutrition info on labels from several types
of foods (use actual labels).
- Based on the percentage of calories from fat, calculate the total
number of grams of fat in each portion.
- Using FDA guidelines, decide which foods, based on their nutrition
labels, are within FDA guidelines for daily fat consumption.
Content Framework: Health
Strand: Behavior and Change
Standard(s): Influence of behavior on health
See page 27 of Health CF.
Skill Framework: Mathematics & Numeracy
Strand: Number Sense
Standard(s): Compute fluently; make reasonable estimates.
See page 16 of Math/Numeracy CF.
- Learner will design a healthy, well-balanced, and portioned meal
according to FDA guidelines.
- Learner will successfully compute the number of fat in a portion
of food based on product label information.
Contacts: Regional Curriculum Coordinators