The BEST Plus 2.0 six and one half hour training is the first of three steps to become certified to administer the BEST Plus 2.0 test.
The other two steps, which must be completed within 3 weeks of the training, are to:
- Complete 10 practice test administrations
- Pass a Scoring Activity using the DVD in the BEST Plus Scoring Refresher Toolkit
Participants must arrive on time and attend the entire session.
Lunch is scheduled for 30 minutes. Please bring your own.
There is a NEW prerequisite for this training. See below for more information.
Please register by September 7th to have a guaranteed spot in this training (guaranteed for practitioners in ESE-funded programs). Practitioners who register after September 8th might be on a wait list.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- ACLS-funded practitioners who need to be trained as BEST Plus 2.0 test administrators.
The BEST Plus 2.0 training is the first step in the process to become certified to administer the BEST Plus 2.0 test. Within three weeks after the training, the following two steps must be completed.
- Trainees must practice administering the test with a minimum of five non-native speakers plus five other individuals that may include non-native speakers. These practice tests may not be administered as pre- or post-assessments. To access these tests, trainees must use the BEST Plus 2.0 software provided by their program site.
- Trainees must also complete a scoring activity using software provided by their program site.
You are encouraged to speak with your program director or ESOL coordinator prior to registering.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Recognize the importance of assessing students' language abilities
- Administer and score the Best Plus 2.0 computer-adaptive oral interview
- Run the Best Plus 2.0 Test Administration Program
- Interpret Best Plus 2.0 scores
- English fluency level of SPL 9 or above
- Experience and comfort interacting with non-native English speakers
- Basic comfort level with computers
- NEW: Completion of an Assessment Basics webinar
Starting on July 1, 2018, practitioners MUST complete the online Assessment Basics webinar prior to attending the BEST Plus 2.0 training. This pre-recorded webinar takes approximately 25 minutes and covers what assessment is, how assessment fits into curriculum and instruction, what assessments are required in Massachusetts for NRS reporting purposes, and what the ACLS assessment policies are. In order to successfully complete the webinar, practitioners are prompted to answer six questions at the end.