In this two-part session, participants will learn how to use the most important features of Google Classroom by receiving multiple opportunities to interact with this tool as both an English learner and as an ESOL teacher.
Please note: You will need to have access to a Gmail account for this training. If you do not currently have a Google account, you can create one for free at https://www.google.com.
You will access Zoom and other support materials via Blackboard. You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College with instructions on how to access the Blackboard course and the Zoom session.
- Teachers of adult ESOL learners of any level
- ESOL teachers with novice to intermediate experience using Google apps (Docs, Forms)
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
A Learning Management System (LMS) can allow teachers the opportunity to keep content and materials in virtual classrooms well-structured and organized. Google offers their free-to-use version of an LMS in the form of Google Classroom. If you and your students already have Google accounts, this application is readily available for use. Google Classroom allows students and teachers access to materials, provide immediate feedback on assignments, and the ability to stay in communication, all in one place.
Part One - Experiencing Google Classroom as an ESOL Student
- Join a class in Google Classroom
- View and respond to classwork
- Share information with other class members
- Share information via private comments
Part Two - Experiencing Google Classroom as an ESOL Teacher
- Create a class within the Google Classroom app
- Communicate Google Classroom features to English learners
- Invite people to join the class (as teachers or students)
- Change the settings of the class
- Create and assign classwork
- Enable the Google Meet feature for distance learning
- Create an ESOL class and change settings of a class
Create materials and submit assignments to ESOL students enrolled in a class
- Participate in discussions and respond to assignments within Google Classroom from the point of view of a student
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: