Learn (or confirm) strategies and tools for teaching in a stimulating, rigorous, ELA CCR Standards-aligned classroom.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- Teachers who wish to understand and apply the CCR Standards for ELA at a practical level.
Part 1, face-to-face (6 hrs.): Roll up your sleeves and dig into the CCR Standards and key instructional shifts in a collaborative session. Come away with tasks and tools to try in your planning and instruction.
Part 2, online (6 hrs.): Participate in a facilitated discussion of readings, activities, and reflections as you apply tools and strategies to develop high-quality lessons and assess student work.
Participation in both parts is required. Successful completers of both parts are eligible for PDPs.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Connect the standards to the three key shifts or advances
- Engage with tasks central to making the standards come alive: selecting texts worth reading, identifying questions worth answering, creating high-quality writing assignments
- Create lessons aligned to the standards and key shifts
- Strengthen student assignments to the level-specific demands of CCR Standards and to the key shifts
Please view this 19 minute video introducing the CCR Standards for ELA: http://www.sabes.org/content/introduction-college-and-career-readiness-ccr-standards-ela-narrated-19-min.