Get WIOA-ready with evidence-based reading instruction (EBRI) for adult learners who are at CCR Standards Level E (GLE 9–12).
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- ELA and subject-matter (e.g., social studies, science, literature, career development) teachers of students at CCR Standards reading level E (GLE 9–12).
Explore ways to support students in reading comprehension, building skills and strategies related to understanding, analyzing, evaluating, and synthesizing the knowledge-building texts emphasized by the CCR Standards for ELA.
This offering includes three components:
- Part 1: Face-to-face session on March 9 in Lawrence (5.5 hours): learn new approaches
- Part 2: Implementation practice (3 hours): implement an approach
- Part 3: Webinar on April 13 from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (1.5 hours)
PDPs may be earned by successfully completing all three components plus an additional final project to be arranged with the presenter.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Identify reading skills needed for success in college and careers
- Make connections between evidence-based reading instruction (EBRI) and standards-based reading instruction
- Describe the reading profiles of high-intermediate and secondary-level adult readers and the importance of such profiles for reading instruction
- Differentiate between Tier 2 and Tier 3 vocabulary and the role each plays in reading
- Implement key EBRI approaches for teaching vocabulary and comprehension to high-intermediate and secondary-level adult students