Get WIOA-ready with evidence-based reading instruction (EBRI) for adult learners who are at CCR Standards Level E (GLE 9-12).
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- ELA and subject-matter (e.g., social studies, science, literature, career development) teachers of students at CCR Standards reading level E (GLE 9-12).
Explore ways to support students in reading comprehension, building skills and strategies related to understanding, analyzing, evaluating, and synthesizing the knowledge-building texts emphasized by the CCR Standards for ELA.
This offering includes three components:
- Part 1: Face-to-face session on May 17 in Worcester (5.5 hours) – learn new approaches
- Part 2: Implementation practice (3 hours) – implement an approach
- Part 3: Webinar date TBD (1.5 hours) – reflect upon experiences and deepen understanding
PDPs may be earned by successfully completing all three components plus an additional final project to be arranged with the presenter.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Identify reading skills needed for success in college and careers
- Make connections between evidence-based reading instruction (EBRI) and standards-based reading instruction
- Describe the reading profiles of high-intermediate and secondary-level adult readers and the importance of such profiles for reading instruction
- Differentiate between Tier 2 and Tier 3 vocabulary and the role each plays in reading
- Implement key EBRI approaches for teaching vocabulary and comprehension to high-intermediate and secondary-level adult students