Do you want help finding free and open-access textbooks, lessons, quizzes, videos, activities, and articles to make your lessons more engaging? In this self-paced, lightly facilitated online course, you will have opportunities to explore and use fresh, relevant, and cost-effective teaching materials for your adult learners. Build on others’ ideas, and discover shared education resources that you can use as they are or adapt for your class.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- ABE and ESOL instructors and tutors
Open educational resources (OERs) can give you access to an abundance of customizable, free, and convenient resources to integrate into your lessons, allowing you to adapt them to your students’ interests and goals. OERs include any educational materials that are openly licensed, including lesson plans, games, textbooks, audio, and video. Learn where to find these resources and how to adapt them for your students and your own classroom needs.
This course is five professional development hours, including assignments.
College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education (CCRSAE) addressed:
- Writing anchor 8: Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, assess the credibility and accuracy of each source, and integrate the information while avoiding plagiarism.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Describe two purposes for using OERs
- List or name five OER materials that you plan to use
- Describe how you will use OER materials in the classroom
- Basic Internet and computer skills
- Internet access