Quinsigamond Community College Adult Basic Education
TEST OF GRAMMAR, READING, AND WRITING SKILLS
Applicant's Name ________________________________________Date
Part A - Grammar
Directions: Read each sentence. Choose the correct word or phrase
(a, b, or c) that belongs
in the space. Circle a, b, or c for the answer you choose.
1. The man to work every morning.
2. you live in Worcester?
3. The students______ English in class now.
b. is study
c. are studying
4. Mrs. Torres watching TV?
5. I very tired yesterday
6. She her friend in New York last Saturday.
7. We home when it started to rain.
a. were walking
b. are walking
c. was walking
8. It tomorrow.
c. is going to rain
9. They to their country next month.
a. will return
10. Before Mary and her husband to bed they are going to
watch the news.
c. will go
11. If it tomorrow, Jack is going swimming.
a. is rain
b. doesn't rain
12. Matt is very tired, so he go to bed early.
a. ought to
b. has to
13. Jim soccer better than baseball.
b. would rather play
14. Maria a new job.
a. has gotten
15. Dick lunch yet.
c. hasn't eaten
16. I for the bus for the past two hours. As usual, it is
a. am waiting
c. have been waiting
17. You on that project for two straight days. It's time for
you to take a break.
a. have working
b. have been working
c. were working
18. you ever been to Hawaii?
19. The Torres family has been in the United States a long
20. Sonia has lived in Worcester 1989.
21. Sarah enjoys in the ocean.
b. to swim
22. Our boss agreed us a ten minute break.
b. to give
5 to 9
GO TO READING SECTION
BACK TO ARTICLE
Originally published in Adventures in Assessment,
Volume 13 (Spring 2001),
SABES/World Education, Boston, MA, Copyright 2001.
Funding support for the publication of this document
on the Web provided in part by the Ohio State Literacy Resource
Center as part of the LINCS
Assessment Special Collection.