The Art of Advising introduces practical tools, strategies, and approaches for staff whose primary function is education and career advising. Content and activities focus on effective practices aligned with Indicator of Program Quality #6 (IPQ6). IPQ6 addresses the equitable delivery of advising and support services to help students identify and make progress towards educational and career goals. While this offering is geared towards staff who are new to the education and career advisor role, it can also benefit experienced advisors seeking to refresh their knowledge and skills.
- Staff who are new to the role of education and career advising
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
To earn the Certificate of Completion, you must attend all four sessions and complete independent activities between sessions, totaling approximately two additional hours. The total number of PD hours is 10.
PART I: 9/29/2020 from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
NOTE: When registering for Part I (September 29), you will automatically be registered for all four parts. To register, use the “Register” tab at the top of the SABES Calendar.
For more information, contact Ruzica Banovic at email@example.com.
- Describe the responsibilities of the education and career advisor and consider factors such as student caseload, advisor FTE, and persistence data, in designing an advising program
- Identify effective practices aligned with Indicator of Program Quality #6, and select resources that can be used to implement them
- Describe the key components of Education and Career Planning and select tools that you can use to implement them
- Describe the legal obligations and procedures for reporting abuse and neglect
- Identify tech tools to explore and use for remote advising
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: