This workshop looks at various reasons and ways to assess your ESOL learners’ language learning, such as determining their class level and learning needs, monitoring and acknowledging their progress, and informing instructional plans. This workshop is one of six that have been developed to support ESOL teachers in gaining proficiency in and mastery of the MA Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult ESOL.
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
- All ESOL teachers who would like to deepen their understanding and expand their repertoire of assessment tools and techniques
This workshop focuses on the importance of using formative and summative assessments to guide and improve instruction. We consider the various purposes for assessment, such as determining student placement, monitoring learner development, and informing instructional plans. We also look at the different ways that assessment data can benefit ESOL programs, teachers, and learners, as well as the roles that learners can play in tracking their own progress.
- Designing formative and summative assessments
- Practicing corrective feedback techniques
- Making instructional decisions using assessment data
The measurement of adult ESOL learning goals will be connected to further educational opportunities addressed within the CCR Standards.
Following the face-to-face workshop is an online companion course to support you in applying what you’ve learned. The companion course is facilitated by the workshop presenter, and participation is expected.
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Identify different types of assessments and the purpose and benefits of each
- Select and use formative assessments to make ongoing instructional decisions
- Select and use summative assessments to demonstrate learning gains after a defined period of instruction
- Craft a systematic instruction and assessment plan that aligns lessons with learning goals and provides ongoing feedback on progress towards these goals
Before attending any of the workshops on the ESOL Professional Standards, you are encouraged to watch the online presentation Introduction to the Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult ESOL and attend the workshop Standard One: Principles of Second Language Acquisition. You can register for both of these presentations through the SABES Calendar.