Following are resources related to creating and adapting ELA curricula, whether for yourself or your program. We will update links and add resources, so do check back.
Be sure to also look at our collection of resources related to the CCR Standards and Mass. ABE Frameworks, an essential part of your curricula.
- ACLS Curriculum Policy update
- Introduction to the Understanding by Design Framework
- What is Backwards Design?
- ELA Instructional Practice Guide for Standards Alignment (questions to guide you in planning lessons that reflect the three instructional shifts of the CCR Standards for ELA)
- Article by Donna Curry: "Developing Instructional Units: Applying What Students Learn", Fall 2015 (Though written for Math, this article's advice on writing goal statements and designing units that are both standards-based and contextualized for meaning and application of learning is highly applicable to ELA.)
- Scope and Sequence General Feedback for ELA (Fall 2015)
- The College and Career Readiness and Success Organizer
- Integrating Technology in WIOA and Digital Literacy Resources
- Created by experienced educators in Student Achievement Partners’ K-12 Core Advocate Network, "What I Use in My Classroom" contains personal recommendations for the tools and resources they’ve seen improve K-12 student and teacher performance.
- ACLS templates (optional) and resources
Curricula created by Massachusetts ABE practitioners:
- Unit & Lesson Plans: Setting Directions (GLE 0–3.9)
- Unit & Lesson Plans: Our Planet, Our Choices (GLE 6–8)
- Unit & Lesson Plans: College and Career Exploration (GLE 6-8)
- Scope & Sequence & Unit & lesson plans: WWII and the Holocaust (GLE 4-12)
- Scope & Sequence: Cape Cod Community College, GLE 4-5
- Scope & Sequence: New Bedford, GLE 4-5
- Scope & Sequence: Cambridge Community Learning Center, GLE 6-8
- Scope & Sequence: Brockton, GLE 9-12
- Document with links to many sites on page 2: "Build Knowledge by Promoting Volume of Reading"
- Achieve the Core Text Sets
- CCSSO Text Sets
- The Change Agent
- Digital Public Library of America Primary Source Sets
- LINCS Learner Center ~ Learn to Read
- Marshall Adult Education ~ Reading Skills for Today’s Adult
- Read Write Think
- Teaching Tolerance, a project of the Southern Poverty Law Center
Determine the Readability of Texts
Determining text readability is a skill covered to greater or lesser degree in ELA PD offerings including Selecting Appropriate Texts, Making the Standards Come Alive, and Close Reading and Text Dependent Questions.
Briefly, to determine readability, use three steps:
- QUANTITATIVE: Use quantitative measures to assign a text to a grade band [Juicy Studio, Lexile Framework, Intervention Central, Readability Calculator)
- QUALITATIVE: Use these rubrics to analyze the complexity of a text that appears to be within the GLE for your students;
- READER & TASK: Use professional judgment to decide how suited the text is for a task (a specific instructional purpose) with the readers - the students in front of you rather than generic students.
Pre-existing Curricula; adapt for ABE
- Engage NY High School Equivalency Curriculum Framework
- Mass. ESE Model Curriculum Units
- Odell Education “Developing Core Proficiencies Curriculum”
- Curriculum Supplemental Series, National Institute of Health (science units for both the middle and high school levels; see especially the unit “Doing Science: The Process of Scientific Inquiry”)
- Nevada Adult Education CCR Standards-Based Units
- OER Commons digital library of lessons
- Kentucky Educational Television (KET) Resource Library for Adult Education
- Civics it Up!
- Occupational Prep ABE Curriculum from the Hubbs Center in St. Paul, MN
- C2E (Courses to Employment) Curricula and Lesson Plans
- "Integrating Career Awareness in the ABE & ESOL Classroom" curriculum
SABES is here for you:
- Attend professional development offerings from the SABES PD Center for ELA
- Request an ELA Coach (contact Merilee Freeman, email@example.com)
- See our collection of resources related to the CCR Standards; search the SABES Resource Library for other resources