WIOA requires ABE programs to provide explicit and systematic instruction in essential components of reading to adult learners of all levels. Explicit and systematic instruction is also good practice for effectively serving our population of students with learning challenges.
Research has identified that four components—alphabetics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension—are essential in how reading develops, and essential in the reading process.
What is EBRI? Evidence-Based Reading Instruction (EBRI) refers to practices for teaching the components of reading, grounded in research and professional wisdom. EBRI strategies support students with struggles, challenges, and learning difficulties.
EBRI best practices include, among others:
- Using individual diagnostic assessments to determine appropriate reading levels and instructional priorities
- Instruction designed around engaging topics and materials that are relevant to learners’ needs
- Direct and explicit instruction with a gradual release of responsibility to learners
- Formative assessment: continuous monitoring by teachers and learners to gauge instructional effectiveness
EBRI is for all reading levels. STAR is an example of an EBRI initiative created for adult learners at GLE 4-8.
Professional Development and Support for EBRI
Visit EBRI PD in FY23 for information on upcoming EBRI PD.
- To the Point: WIOA, EBRI & STAR
- ACLS page for EBRI
- What Is Evidence-Based Reading Instruction and How Do You Know It When You See It? (2012)
- Massachusetts STAR overview and links to related resources
Videos--See EBRI in Action
- Alphabetics: Phonemic Awareness
- Adult Fluency & Vocabulary
- Improving Fluency with Oral Reading Strategies
Tools & Resources:
- Research Brief: Adult Reading Components Study (ARCS)
- Free Diagnostic Assessments of Reading
- EBRI Observation Form
- What Do We Mean When We Say That?: Comparing Reading Terminology and Other Key Phrases
- A Teacher’s Guide to the CCRSAE for Level A and Level B Adult Learners
- Create Videos and Google Forms for Vocabulary Instruction
|SABES ELA Curriculum Hub|
|SABES CCRSAE-ELA Hub|
|SABES ELA Home Page|