This narrated exploration provides an overview to the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adut Education (CCRSAE) for Mathematics. It includes quick glimpses at the Mathematical Practices and
The SABES Mathematics and Adult Numeracy Curriculum & Instruction PD Center is managed by the Adult Numeracy Center at TERC, located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Our center provides high-quality professional development (PD) so that teachers can better help adult learners understand how math is present and relevant in everyday life, and how learners can use this knowledge to improve their own lives and communities.
FEATURED RESOURCES _______________________________________________________________________________________
- Resources for remote instruction
- Information and resources related to COVID-19
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for Math resources
To register, visit the SABES Calendar.
The Best Stuff in Math Is Free: Desmos Support for a CUNY Math Packet (online facilitated)
English Language Learners in the ABE Classroom (self-paced modules)
Summaries of all the PD workshops and courses we are able to offer can be found here. Contact our Center if your program would like to request a specific event.
Here are some of the many other services we offer:
- Resources: Recently posted resources appear on this page under Math: Resources, Research, and Curriculum. Find resources by using the search box located at the top of this page, by selecting the Resource Library link at the top of this page, or by going directly to one of our curated collection pages:
- Research, including effective teaching practices
- Standards, including our Overview, which illustrates how standards develop across levels
- Curriculum, including sample instructional units*
- Instruction, including teaching ideas for LD students and lessons from Statistics in Action
- Resources for remote instruction, including tips on how to use them in math classes
- Mathematics Proficiency Guide
- News: Check for news under Math: What’s New, and select Sign Up for Notifications to arrange for email alerts about newly posted news, resources, and PD opportunities.
- Our blog: Check out the monthly blogs, written by our team and by teachers who have worked with our PD Center.
*For CALM, the Curriculum for Adults Learning Math, see our CALM website.)
Contact us: Would you like to bring math PD to your program, suggest a resource, or ask a question? We’re here! Contact our director, Heidi Schuler-Jones, at email@example.com, or select the purple “Contact This PD Center” button below.
Math & Numeracy: Upcoming Events
Most adult education programs have English learners (ELs) in their adult basic education (ABE) courses. These ELs, like their native-English...
Note: This online workshop is Part 1 of a two-part series that serves as an introduction to a new set...
For the past year and a half, we have heard about a ‘pandemic’. What is a pandemic? What makes it...
Math & Numeracy: Videos
This brief video defines what a curriculum is and how having one in place helps teachers. The video also defines the parts of a curriculum, including scope and sequence, instructional units, lessons
English learner students in a math class talk about how important it is to learn math, and how well they learn it in classes taught by SABES instructors. (SABES)
Math & Numeracy: Resources, Research and Curriculum
In this 2021 qualitative research study commissioned by the SABES Mathematics and Adult Numeracy Curriculum and Instruction PD Center, project...
SABES is creating a coordinated resource bank for diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) materials across all of our PD centers, pulling together the...
[Source: U.S. Census Bureau] Equal Pay Day symbolizes the number of days, on average, that women have to work past the end of the previous year to...