In this video, adult English learners talk about the kind of math instruction that has helped them understand and retain what they have learned in math class.
The SABES Mathematics and Adult Numeracy Curriculum & Instruction PD Center is managed by the Adult Numeracy Center at TERC. Our center provides high-quality professional development (PD) so that teachers can better help adult learners understand how math is present and relevant in everyday life, and how learners can use this knowledge to improve their own lives and communities.
FEATURED RESOURCES _______________________________________________________________________________________
- Resources for remote instruction
- Information and resources related to COVID-19
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for Math resources
Looking for information on the Curriculum for Adults Learning Math (CALM)? Visit the CALM website.
To register, visit the SABES Calendar.
CALM Support series: Proportional Reasoning
Introduction to Integrating Math into the ESOL Classroom
Using the Math Proficiency Guide to Become a More Effective Math Teacher
English Language Learners in the ABE Classroom
What Story Does This Graph Tell?
Digital Literacy with Pear Deck
CALM Support series: Fractions, Decimals, & Percents -- Benchmarks
LD Teaching Strategies for Math
Teaching about Vaccines
Introduction to Geometry
CALM Support series: Fractions, Decimals, & Percents -- Operations
Summaries of all the PD workshops and courses we are able to offer can be found here. Contact our Center if your program would like to request a specific event.
Here are some of the many other services we offer:
- Resources: Recently posted resources appear on this page under Math: Resources, Research, and Curriculum. Find resources by using the search box located at the top of this page, by selecting the Resource Library link at the top of this page, or by going directly to one of our curated collection pages:
- Research, including effective teaching practices
- Standards, including our Overview, which illustrates how standards develop across levels
- Curriculum, including sample instructional units*
- Instruction, including teaching ideas for LD students and lessons from Statistics in Action
- Resources for remote instruction, including tips on how to use them in math classes
- Mathematics Proficiency Guide
- News: Check for news under Math: What’s New, and select Sign Up for Notifications to arrange for email alerts about newly posted news, resources, and PD opportunities.
- Our blog: Check out the monthly blogs, written by our team and by teachers who have worked with our PD Center.
Contact us: Would you like to bring math PD to your program, suggest a resource, or ask a question? We’re here! Contact our director, Heidi Schuler-Jones, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or email email@example.com.
Math & Numeracy: Upcoming Events
“[Students] struggle because we don’t offer them sufficient opportunities in the classroom to develop the cognitive skills and habits of...
The Mathematics Proficiency Guide for Teachers of Adult Education* is one of several companion pieces to the MA Professional Standards...
Most adult education programs have English learners (ELs) in their adult basic education (ABE) courses. These ELs, like their native-English...
Math & Numeracy: Videos
In this video, adult English learners and their instructor talk about the value of using a variety of strategies in math class to make sense of and solve problems.
This narrated exploration provides an overview to the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adut Education (CCRSAE) for Mathematics. It includes quick glimpses at the Mathematical Practices and
Math & Numeracy: Resources, Research and Curriculum
“Through topics such as family structures, immigration, and the value of education, show students how they can apply math and statistics to make real...
This handy two-page document and companion video offers suggestions for free, downloadable resources and everyday items that can help instructors...
SABES is creating a coordinated resource bank for diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) materials across all of our PD centers, pulling together the...