This video demonstrates on how to teach vocabulary to a STAR class using explicit instruction. The instructor demonstrates how to use the evidence-based reading instruction (EBRI) quadrant chart
Welcome to the SABES English Language Arts Curriculum & Instruction Professional Development Center (ELA C&I PD Center). What's New?
- Overview of Evidence-Based Reading Instruction (EBRI)-September (self-paced, open for a month)
- Google Classroom Orientation and Onboarding (9/13, ELA Roundtable)
- Remotely Administer Diagnostic Reading Assessments (self-paced, opens 9/15)
- Teaching Adult Learners with Language-Based Learning Disabilities: An Overview (9/21)
- Differentiation by Design: Optimizing Learning for All Learners! (9/22, with ESOL)
- Discovering Newsela (9/24, Partner PD)
- Formative Assessment in Adult Education ELA Classes (9/29 & 10/13)
- Overview of Evidence-Based Reading Instruction (EBRI)-October (self-paced, open for a month)
- The Recipe for Success: The College & Career Readiness Standards and Instructional Shifts (self-paced, opens 10/4)
- Supporting ELA Online Instruction: Learner Readiness (10/7)
- Differentiating Instruction with Newsela (10/8, Partner PD)
- Connecting the Dots: Informing ELA Instruction through Learner Performance on the MAPT (10/19, with NRS Assessment)
- Supporting Student Engagement and Guiding Inquiry with Newsela (10/22, Partner PD)
- Multimedia Tools for History and Science (10/22 & 11/19)
- Scaffolded Writing Strategies: From Sentences to Paragraphs (10/26)
- EBRI: Diagnostic Assessments of Reading–Fall 2021 (blended, opens 10/27)
- STAR: Student Achievement in Reading (blended, 10/29 through Spring 2022)
Resources: Scroll through ELA: Resources, Research, and Curriculum, notice the three resources highlighted lower down this page, and explore our curated collection pages:
- College & Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education (CCRSAE)
- Content-Area Standards and Frameworks, including the HiSET and GED
- Curriculum (development, revision, examples) & Instruction
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in ELA
- ELA Proficiency Guide to the MA Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Education
- Evidence-Based Reading Instruction (EBRI), including STAR
- Remote ELA Instruction & Curriculum
The SABES ELA C&I PD Center provides ELA PD and support for adult education programs, including self-paced modules, recorded webinars, live sessions, multi-layered courses, coaching, consulting, and resources related to curriculum and instruction. Based at Quinsigamond Community College in Worcester, MA, we serve programs throughout the state.
Have a question or idea? Need a coach? Want to request specific PD? Please write to us.
ELA: Upcoming Events
Learn about common language-based learning disabilities (LBLD), such as dyslexia, and about specific strategies to support adult learners with LBLD.
Explore both in-person formative assessments and remote formative assessments, plan to incorporate these into your instruction, and report back on...
What: This brief, engaging, online, self-paced mini-course provides an overview of the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education...
Two instructors and the director of Abisi Adult Education Center in Lowell, MA introduce you to STAR (Student Achievement in Reading) and its impact on adult learners in their school. (SABES)
This video shows how to administer the Diagnostic Assessment of Reading (DAR) to a potential STAR student to determine the appropriate level of instruction for alphabetics, fluency, vocabulary, and
ELA: Resources, Research and Curriculum
In this series of four videos, two instructors and the director of Abisi Adult Education Center in Lowell, MA introduce you to the STAR program...
What does WIOA have to say about EBRI and STAR? How are EBRI and STAR related? Do you have to offer them in your program? Read this 2-page brief that...
Context: WIOA requires ABE programs to provide explicit and systematic instruction in essential components of reading to adult learners of all levels...