The first of three videos in this series provides an overview and background of the MA Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Speakers of Other Languages.
Welcome to the SABES ESOL Curriculum & Instruction Professional Development Center (ESOL PD Center)
The SABES ESOL Curriculum & Instruction Professional Development Center is managed by EDC (Education Development Center). Our center provides relevant, innovative, high-quality professional development, led by local and national subject matter experts, and aligned to the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Speakers of Other Languages. We support the ongoing learning needs of ESOL educators working to help adult learners develop English language proficiency to meet their everyday, educational, and professional goals.
To see dates and register for PD events, visit the SABES Calendar.
- Professional Development Menu for MA ESOL Professional Standards, including:
- MA ELPS (Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards) - Document and Overview Videos
- Curriculum Planning Templates (Scope & Sequence, Unit, Lesson) and Sample Units
- Instructional Videos and Lesson Plan
- Tech Skills for ESOL Instruction Session Recording Library
- ESOL Teaching Resources to Promote Anti-Racism, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Find all ESOL Resources at ESOL: Resources, Research, and Curriculum
NEW! Updated Standards-Aligned Resource Collections
- Second Language Acquisition Teaching Resources (Standard 1)
- Components of Language Teaching Resources (Standard 2)
- Culturally Responsive and Sustaining Teaching Resources (Standard 3)
- Curriculum and Instructional Planning Resources (Standard 4)
- Assessment Teaching Resources (Standard 5)
- Instructional Delivery Teaching Resources (Standard 6)
Special Topics of Interest:
UPCOMING ESOL PD EVENTS (click for details & registration)
- Introducing Civic Literacy in the Adult ESOL Classroom
- Focused Listening Instruction for the Virtual Classroom
- Differentiation by Design: Optimizing Learning for All Learners!
- Teaching the Notes and Melodies--Incorporating Effective Pronunciation Instruction into ESOL Lessons
- Fostering Digital Literacy Using Google Drive and Docs (Beginning Users)
- Integrating Digital Literacy Into ESOL Instruction Using Google Docs: Beyond the Basics
- Engaging and Assessing English Learners with Google Forms (Beginning Users)
- ESOL Assessment: How Do You and Your Students Know They Are Learning?
- Greater Learner Engagement and Assessment Using Google Forms (Intermediate Users)
COACHING AND PROGRAM-BASED PD
The ESOL PD Center also offers custom-tailored coaching services for individuals or instructional teams. Trained coaches are available to assist with curriculum development, culturally responsive teaching, instructional practices, implementation of EGE, and other needs.
To suggest new PD topics, or request program-based PD or coaching support for yourself or your program, contact ESOL PD Center Director Dori McCormack (firstname.lastname@example.org).
THE ESOL PD CENTER TEAM:
ESOL: Upcoming Events
In this two-hour Zoom session, participants learn how to transfer ESOL best practices in listening instruction to the online environment...
This online facilitated session explores how teachers of adult learners can vary content, instructional processes, and assessments of learning outcomes...
Teaching the Notes and Melodies — Incorporating Effective Pronunciation Instruction into ESOL Lessons (Online Blended)
In this two-session, online course, participants will learn teaching techniques and activities to support learners in becoming more comfortable and...
The second of three videos in this series provides a look at each of the seven professional standards, including key revisions.
The third of three videos in this series shares ways to put the standards to use in your instructional practice.
ESOL: Resources, Research and Curriculum
Within this PDF, you will find links to valuable tips about ESOL teaching best practices by viewing these videos created by the SABES ESOL PD…
This resource is comprised of two separate components: the Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards (MA ELPS) document, and three…
This resource collection provides an array of materials and guidance to help you design coherent, rigorous instructional units and lessons that…