Part 2 of the Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards (MA ELPS) Overview explores the organization of the MA ELPS document. (SABES) See also: MA ELPS (Massachusetts English Language
Spring has sprung!
The school year may be winding up, but the ESOL PD Center still has many relevant, timely professional development offerings coming your way.
- Writing Constructed Responses using the Change Agent is a collaboration with the ELA PD Center in which we will explore two effective strategies for teaching students how to write constructed responses. The presenter shows how to use The Change Agent, a relevant, engaging student-written publication, both as a text that learners can deconstruct and analyze for meaning and as a model for their own writing.
- Unit Planning Using Backward Design is a don't miss series that will explore how you can develop instructional units using the backward design approach, which aligns learning outcomes, assessments, and activities.
- Feeding Two Birds with One Scone: Creatively Approaching Educator Growth and Program Improvement in these sessions, directors and instructional leaders will be introduced to strategies to create a connective and creative learning environment for our teams and programs. Session 1: Friday, May 13 from 12:30 - 2PM and an optional session on Friday, May 20th from 12:30-2PM.
- COMING TO THE CALENDAR SOON: Culturally Responsive and Sustaining Teaching (standard 3) will guide instructors to a greater awareness of culturally responsive and sustaining teaching through the lens of anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion. This series will meet on 3 consecutive Fridays in June - 3, 10, and 17.
- Professional Development Menu for MA ESOL Professional Standards: This Google site is a wonderful starting point for your exploration of the newly revised ESOL Professional Standards. With an overall introductory graphic, easy navigation, and page dedicated to each standard (which includes the standard language, introductory video, and upcoming PD), this site will be a useful resource for you to refer back to time and again. Check back regularly as it is a work in progress and we continue to improve it as it grows.
- ESOL Resources That Promote Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the ESOL Classroom: Visit this page on the ESOL launch page of the SABES website to access the newly created Google site which features curated lists of ESOL DEI resources to help you support your work, understanding of, and instruction on this vital component of ESOL instruction.
And for those of you looking for some self-paced options, check out some of our other favorites when you get the chance: The Introduction to the Revised MA Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Speakers of Other Languages, The Learners' View on Zoom - A Collection of Tiny Videos and Viewer's Guide for Smartphone Use on Zoom, ESOL Recorded Session Library
As always, we are here for you and excited to learn and grow along with all of you. Interested in a topic and don't see it here? Reach out and let us know!
The ESOL PD Center Team:
- Dori McCormack - email@example.com
- Kate Anderson - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laura Porter - email@example.com
(A brief and light-hearted video with tips on participating in virtual sessions. Oh, the things we have seen! :).
ESOL: Upcoming Events
This four-part workshop is based on the MA ESOL Professional Standards. It explores the what, why, and how of Culturally...
This video provides exaggerated examples of what NOT to do when teaching an ESOL course. Take a look and see if you can find them all. (SABES)
Part 1 of the Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards (MA ELPS) Overview introduces the standards, why they were developed, what is new, and what has stayed the same. (SABES)
ESOL: Resources, Research and Curriculum
An overview of the ESOL PD Center's offerings for the year, starting in August, to help you plan your professional development.
Within this PDF, you will find links to valuable tips about ESOL teaching best practices by viewing these videos created by the SABES ESOL PD…
This resource is comprised of two separate components: the Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards (MA ELPS) document, and three…