The Professional Adult Educator is an eight-week, thirteen-hour online course that explores the art of teaching adults, viewed through the lens of the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Education.
- New and experienced ELA, Math, and ESOL adult education teachers interested in learning how to use the MA Professional Standards for Adult Education to enhance their teaching practice
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
This course employs an inquiry-based learning approach to guide you in making connections between the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Education and your teaching practice. You will begin to develop and/or strengthen your proficiency around standards, curriculum, assessment, planning, instructional design, and teaching approaches. Through a combination of self-paced and facilitated virtual sessions, you will engage in reflective exercises and investigate instructional strategies based on best practices. The course offers separate tracks for novice and more experienced practitioners and is thus appropriate for all adult educators.
Before you attend the first webinar, you will be asked to choose a content area to focus on for the duration of the course. You will choose from: ELA, ESOL, or Math.
The course components include:
- Three facilitated webinars (a total of 4 hours)
- Three self-directed modules (a total of 6 hours)
- A reflective portfolio project (an estimated 3 hours) – you will work on this throughout the course
To receive credit, you must participate in all components. Total PD hours equals 13. PDPs are available upon request and with completion of all six modules and a final project, to be determined by the participant, course facilitator, and PD Center Director.
- Thursday, March 4 - course opens with a virtual session 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- 3/4/2021 – 3/17/2021 - self-directed Module 1
- Thursday, March 18 – virtual session 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm
- 3/18/2021 – 3/25/2021 - self-directed Module 2
- 3/26/2021 – 4/14/2021 - self-directed Module 3
- Thursday, April 15 - final virtual session - 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm
- Final portfolios due by Wednesday, April 28th
- Describe how the MA Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Education provide a framework for effective teaching and promote the learning and growth of all students
- Collect and organize evidence-based strategies and best practices that connect to the Professional Standards and accompanying Self-Assessment Rubric
- Answer the course's essential question: What does high-quality teaching and meaningful learning look like and sound like in an AE classroom?
- Critically assess your professional knowledge, understanding, and practice in order to develop next-step goals for continued growth and ultimately to enhance student outcomes
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: