Note: This session is now at capacity, but please email us (email@example.com) if you are interested. We can put you on a waitlist and notify you if we repeat this offering.
This professional development offering is for program teams who are willing to take an honest look at their programs through multiple stakeholder perspectives, to receive that feedback, identify challenges, and begin taking steps toward making the program a place where diverse views are valued and validated for the benefit of all learners, staff, and partners.
We are excited to welcome back Dr. Carmine Stewart who facilitated the session on Exploring Identity and Implicit Bias: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Our Work. Her experience and expertise lies within adult education; literacy; teacher education; and diversity, equity and inclusion.
This event includes an introductory webinar on February 26, a wrap-up webinar on May 14, and program-based work in between. Programs should register as a team, with at least one director or coordinator and one instructor, advisor, or other staff member represented.
This offering is available to Massachusetts adult education programs only. Please contact us if you have any questions.
- Adult education program teams who are committed to implementing changes within their organization to prioritize equity and inclusivity by examining their organizations through the lens of race, diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Programs teams that include (at a minimum) a director or coordinator and one instructor, advisor, or other staff member represented
- All adult educators, whether they identify themselves as novice, intermediate, or advanced in working to promote diverse, equitable, and inclusive working and learning environments
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Adult Education Programs: Workplace Assessment and Plan (February 26, 2021 from 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.)
In this session, you and your program team will view your program through the lens of your students (and other stakeholders) to identify ways that each component of your program is (or is not) welcoming and inclusive. The facilitator will share examples of small steps that organizations have taken to be more inclusive and diverse, and the accountability measures they have put in place to ensure that they implement changes. To begin the workplace audit in this initial session, your program team will examine procedures and artifacts from your program to identify evidence of inclusive and equitable practices, and identify equitable practices as well as areas where you want to make changes.
Between Sessions Work and Coaching
Between February 26 and May 14, your program team will continue the workplace audit by eliciting feedback from key stakeholders (especially students). Based on this, you will complete a written plan identifying three meaningful, manageable changes you want to make, complete a consulting call with the facilitator, and take action on some of the changes.
Workplace Audit 2: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Adult Education Organizations (May 14, 2021 from 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.)
In this session, you and members of your program team will have the opportunity to share the results from you workplace audit experiment and get guidance for carrying this work forward. Each program will share a summary of their work, including:
- Strategies employed to elicit feedback from key stakeholders (students, partners, etc.)
- Key findings from that feedback from key stakeholders
- How findings were shared within the organizations
- Staff and partners response to the feedback
- Goals that they identified based on the feedback
- Progress they have made toward those goals
- Next steps within their organizations
We will be contacting you a week before the webinar with information on how to access the webinar. Watch for a confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
This session is now at capacity, but please email us (email@example.com) if you are interested. We can put you on a waitlist and notify you if we repeat this offering.
- Session 1: February 26, 2021 from 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Adult Education Programs: Workplace Assessment and Planning
Program Work and Coaching: Feb 26 - May 14: Teams conduct workplace audit with consultation
Session 2: May 14, 2021 from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Adult Education Programs: Reflection and Sharing
- Use the workplace audit tool to examine your program and its processes
- Use the workplace audit tool to elicit feedback from multiple stakeholders (including students) about your program
- Identify and address one area for program improvement related to the diversity, equity, and inclusion plan
- Set organizational priorities for equity and inclusion
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: