In this two-part online workshop, we will look at a framework for making instructional decisions when planning both synchronous and asynchronous remote math instruction. You will see examples of routines and activities from a remote math class and will have the opportunity to get support while planning out your next lesson or unit.
- ABE teachers and administrators at all levels of math ability and comfort
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
Most remote math instruction includes both synchronous and asynchronous components. As you plan to teach a math unit remotely, what do you prioritize in your synchronous instruction? How do you make instructional decisions about the best use of different forms of remote instruction?
In the first 90-minute workshop of this series, you will be introduced to a framework for planning synchronous instruction. We will look at examples of math routines and activities from remote math classes at both beginner and intermediate levels.
In the second 90-minute workshop, we will discuss strategies for scaffolding asynchronous work, and discuss promising practices for using Google Classroom or other learning platforms. You will have the opportunity to meet in small groups with other educators, and to see examples of math units adapted for remote instruction.
- These workshops will be conducted over Zoom. Participants are expected to attend both sessions.
- About one week before the event, registrants will receive a separate email from email@example.com from the SABES Math Team at TERC with instructions on how to access the Zoom sessions.
- Identify goals and priorities for synchronous and asynchronous instruction
- Identify math routines that work well during synchronous instruction
- Consider ways to promote productive classroom discussions of math concepts
- Scaffold group work in a synchronous remote classroom
- Consider ways to support and onboard learners to technology
- Discuss promising practices with other educators
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: