Looking for guidance on how to help your students prepare for the citizenship test? This two-session workshop will introduce you to the qualifications and process for seeking U.S. citizenship; explain the test questions and scoring; demonstrate the interview process; and provide you with strategies and resources to help your students prepare for the test.
- ESOL and Adult Education teachers and staff
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
The citizenship test is a considerable milestone for our ESOL students and can also be a daunting experience. For teachers, helping students to prepare and become comfortable with the process can be challenging as well. This two-session series is designed to assist ESOL Adult Education teachers and staff in providing support and guidance for students throughout the process. You will leave these sessions with an understanding of the test including content, process, scoring, resources and strategies for preparation.
- Explain the qualifications for citizenship and the citizenship process
- Describe the citizenship test and how it is scored
- Conduct an authentic practice interview and explain why particular questions are asked
- Know strategies for teaching citizenship preparation, with a particular focus on “at risk” students
- Provide accurate responses to potential questions/concerns that students might have about the citizenship test
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: