In this two-session offering, advisors, instructors, directors and advising teams are invited to learn about the process of developing an advising scope and sequence for varied-level adult learners. In the first session, you will learn about the process and activities the Lawrence Adult Learning center engaged in to create their advising scope and sequence. During the second session, you will engage in activities that allow you to explore how you can adapt this advising scope and sequence approach to your program.
- Any advisor, instructor, director or advising team that is interested in developing an advising program structure
- Teams of advisors and instructors working together to develop and implement curriculum
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
Join this two-part session to begin, revise or further develop a scope and sequence and curriculum for your advising program. The staff at Lawrence Adult Learning Center (ALC) have completed and released an Advising Program Scope and Sequence Document that demonstrates their student-centered and holistic advising approach that helps each student achieve their unique goals. At the ALC, advising plays a dynamic role in the overall success of the adult learner, which inspired staff to create a comprehensive and holistic Advising Scope and Sequence that will serve as a guide for their advising process.
- In session one, ALC advisors will share the process they engaged in to create and design their Advising Program Scope and Sequence, followed by an introduction of key elements of the document.
- Between session one and two, you will be asked to think about what it is that you want adult learners to demonstrate they know, are able to do, and value and appreciate as a result of engaging in the advising process.
- In session two, you will explore how you can adapt elements of the ALC process and scope and sequence to your own scope and sequence development. The presenters will guide you through thinking about the following components that could guide your process as you develop an advising scope and sequence for your program:
To engage in the process of building an advising scope and sequence, you will be asked to consider:
- How to engage new adult learners during the orientation phase
- How to help learners understand the role that interests and values play in career selection
- How to assist learners with identifying and achieving authentic goals that are flexible and culturally sensitive
- How to help learners understand their postsecondary education and training options
- How to build and sustain collaborative relationships between advisors, teachers, and learners
- How to bring advisors and teachers together to link class content with career exploration
Schedule: Total time for this PD is 4 hours
- Thursday April 29th, 2021 1:00 p.m.–2:30 p.m.
- Thursday May 6th, 2021 1:00 p.m.–2:30 p.m.
- 1 hour work between sessions
Note: You will receive a separate email from Ruzica Banovic a week before the course begins with instructions on how to access the Zoom session.
- Identify and discuss successful components of an advising scope and sequence
- Apply new concepts and strategies for building or strengthening your advising curriculum
- Develop an action plan to apply new strategies and concepts to your program’s advising curriculum
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: