The brief prerecorded webinar is the first step on your journey for evidence-based reading instruction (EBRI), providing an introduction to and an overview of EBRI. It is a prerequisite for all other EBRI offerings. (Note: STAR training also fills this prerequisite, so STAR-trained practitioners do not need to take this Overview.)
Please note: This online course is run via Blackboard. You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College 1-2 days before the course begins with instructions on how to access the Blackboard course.
- All adult education practitioners and staff who wish to use or better understand EBRI
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
This prerecorded webinar provides a solid introduction to EBRI. Learn about the four essential components of reading (alphabetics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension) and how they interrelate, the role of diagnostic assessment, and the basic tenets of explicit instruction.
The 30-minute webinar is divided into three parts with accompanying activities and a required assessment, totaling one professional development hour. While not eligible for PDPs by itself, this offering can be bundled with other EBRI offerings to earn PDPs.
- List and explain the four essential components of reading
- Describe how the four essential components of reading interrelate and why these connections are important to EBRI
- Explain why administering a diagnostic assessment of reading is a pivotal part of EBRI
- Describe explicit instruction and its connection to EBRI
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: