In this workshop, participants will learn effective strategies and techniques for teaching English grammar in meaningful communicative contexts.
Please note: You will access this course via Blackboard. You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College 1-2 days before the course begins with instructions on how to access the Blackboard course.
- Instructors of all levels of ESOL
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
In this experiential learning workshop, ESOL instructors explore techniques to contextualize grammar instruction in meaningful content and maximize students' practice and use of new language and forms. The facilitators share a variety of ways teachers and present targeted grammar points that align to the MA ELPS; create activities for ample student practice and authentic language use; and promote students' metalinguistic awareness through reflection and analysis. Through two facilitated virtual sessions and two self-directed online modules, this professional development opportunity models a gradual release of responsibility of learning and includes a combination of presentation and demonstration, experiential exploration and hands-on practice, videos, readings, reflection, and application to the ESOL classroom.
- Contextualize grammar lessons in meaningful content
- Gradually release responsibility for learning grammar to students
- Design activities to maximize student practice and meaningful use of grammar fonts
- Promote students' metalinguistic awareness
- Outline a contextualized grammar lesson with workshop elements for in-person or remote instruction
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
Ability to participate in a Zoom meeting. Basic familiarity with rules of English grammar.