This professional development offering is for program teams who are willing to take an honest look at their programs through multiple stakeholder perspectives, to receive that feedback, identify challenges, and begin taking steps toward making the program a place where diverse views are valued and validated for the benefit of all learners, staff, and partners.
This event includes an introductory webinar on December 8th, 2021, a wrap-up webinar on May 6, 2022, and program-based work in between. Programs should register as a team, with at least one director or coordinator and one instructor, advisor, or other staff member represented. See notes on registration below or go to this interest form to indicate interest.
This offering is available to Massachusetts adult education programs only. Please contact us if you have any questions.
- Adult education program teams who are committed to implementing changes within their organization to prioritize equity and inclusivity by examining their organizations through the lens of race, diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Programs teams that include (at a minimum) a director or coordinator and one instructor, advisor, or other staff member represented
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
Session 1 DEI Adult Education Programs: Program Assessment and Planning (December 8th, 2021 from 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.)
In this session, you and your program team will view your program through the lens of your students (and other stakeholders) to identify ways that each component of your program is (or is not) welcoming and inclusive. The facilitator will share examples of small steps that organizations have taken to be more inclusive and diverse, and the accountability measures they have put in place to ensure that they implement changes. To begin the workplace audit in this initial session, your program team will examine procedures and artifacts from your program to identify evidence of inclusive and equitable practices, and identify equitable practices as well as areas where you want to make changes.
Between Sessions Work and Coaching (December 8, 2021 and May 6, 2022)
Your program team will continue the program assessment by eliciting feedback from key stakeholders. Based on this, your team will complete a written plan identifying three meaningful, manageable changes you want to make, complete a coaching call with the facilitator, and take action on some of the changes.
Session 2 DEI in Adult Education Organizations: Reflection and Sharing (May 6, 2022 from 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.)
In this session, you and members of your program team will have the opportunity to share the results from you workplace audit experiment and get guidance for carrying this work forward. Each program will share a summary of their work, including:
- Key findings from the assessment
- How findings were shared within the organizations
- Staff and partners response to the feedback
- Goals identified based on the feedback
- Progress made toward those goals
- Next steps within their organizations
- Program directors or coordinators should complete this interest form to indicate interest and identify the team that will participate.
- Please note: In order for the facilitator to provide the kind of individualized support required of this work, only a small number of programs will be able to participate. Complete the interest form ASAP to make sure to reserve a space. Programs will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
- Session 1: December 8th 2021 from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: DEI in Adult Education: Program Assessment and Planning
- Program-based work and coaching: December 8, 2021 – May 6, 2022
- Session 2: May 6, 2022 from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon : DEI in Adult Education: Reflection and Sharing
We will be contacting you a week before the webinar with information on how to access the webinar. Look for a confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use the program assessment tool to examine your program and its processes
- Use the program assessment tool to elicit feedback from multiple stakeholders
- Identify and address one area for program improvement related to the diversity, equity, and inclusion plan
- Set organizational priorities for equity and inclusion
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: