WhatsApp is a versatile communication tool ideal for ESOL instruction and already familiar to many of our students. In this "how-to" session, teachers will be introduced to many WhatsApp features for communicating and interacting with ESOL students as part of remote, in-person, or blended instruction.
Please note: You will access Zoom and other support materials via Blackboard. You cannot access this online course through the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College 1-2 days before the course begins with instructions on how to access the Blackboard course and Zoom session. If you do not receive these instructions, please check your Spam folder and/or email email@example.com.
- ESOL teachers of any student level and with little to no knowledge of WhatsApp
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
WhatsApp is a communication tool that operates on mobile phones, tablets, Macs, and PCs, and can help your students stay connected to you and to their classmates. It can be used in individual or small group teleconferences, to share class announcements and assignments, and more. In this "how-to" session, teachers will be introduced to WhatsApp and its many features for communicating with ESOL students as part of remote, in-person, or blended instruction. After setting up a WhatsApp account, participants will explore and practice:
- Creating student contacts and a class group
- Interacting with students using basic app features, such as texting
- Using the app for student communicative activities
While this informative and interactive session takes place on Zoom, it will have you using WhatsApp on your phone, in real-time, so please have your phone handy to allow for maximum participation.
- Set-up your WhatsApp account
- Create new contacts and create a group within WhatsApp
- Begin to use the basic, most commonly used features of the app for student communication and interaction
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: