Photosynthesis. Democracy. Vaccination.
Tier 3 vocabulary includes the content-area, subject-specific words and phrases needed for understanding a topic. In this session, explore evidence-based approaches for supporting adult learners at the intermediate and secondary levels (GLE 4-12) with building Tier 3 vocabulary in ways that deepen their knowledge of the topic and foster ongoing learning.
- ELA teachers
- Subject-matter teachers (e.g., social studies, science, workforce prep, etc.)
- Teachers and tutors for adult learners reading at GLE 4-12
- Corrections teachers
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
Experience evidence-based techniques for teaching content-specific (a.k.a “Tier 3”) vocabulary in ELA classes or content-area classes (e.g., social studies, science, workforce prep, parenting). Both in-person and online approaches are included for selecting which words to teach, designing explicit instruction, providing meaningful practice, and assessing learning.
Please note: You cannot access this session from the SABES website. You will receive an email 1-2 days before the session with instructions on how to access it.
- Explain what Tier 3 words are and why they are an essential part of both reading and content area instruction for intermediate ABE and ASE students
- Select appropriate Tier 3 words for instruction
- Implement key EBRI approaches for teaching Tier 3 vocabulary and assessing learning, both remotely and in person
- Access print and online resources
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: