Whether you are teaching ESOL in person, remotely, or in a hybrid class, this introductory session will help you use Google Forms to foster student interaction and to assess learning. English learners will increase their digital literacy and language skills by using Google Forms to collect, communicate, and evaluate information.
- Teachers of adult English learners of any proficiency level
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
As we provide distance learning and blended models of instruction, it is important to continue to offer a variety of opportunities for student interaction as well as measure learning gains. We also want to make use of technology to enhance learners’ digital literacy skills. Google Forms is a free application that can help us achieve all these goals. The versatility of Google Forms allows us to create student surveys, interactive worksheets with different question types and multimedia elements, invitations and event RSVPs, exit tickets, and graded quizzes, among many other learning and assessment materials. Learners can use Google Forms to collect and evaluate information and communicate with classmates. Teachers can also collaborate remotely with their learners and with colleagues by creating and modifying forms together.
During this 2-hour Zoom session, we will explore some of the foundational features of Google Forms for synchronous and asynchronous remote ESOL instruction:
- Creating forms from templates or a blank quiz from scratch
- Adding and deleting items (questions and fields) in a form
- Adding titles and multimedia elements (images; video) to questions
- Formatting questions and changing question settings
- "Adding collaborators" vs. "Send" features
The presenter will model, and participants will practice, using these features from both the teacher’s and learner’s perspectives.
You will need to have access to a Gmail account for this training. If you do not currently have a Google account you can create one for free here: https://www.google.com
This session will be delivered via Zoom. Although Zoom is mobile-friendly, you will greatly enhance your experience by participating from a laptop or desktop computer.
We will email you a Zoom link a few days before the session.
- Use Google Forms to create interactive activities through which English learners collect, communicate, and assess information
- Create, edit, and submit quizzes and surveys using the Google Forms app with English learners at any proficiency level
- Use Google Form features to invite participants to access your form
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: