In this four-part blended workshop, you will expand your knowledge of the MA ELPS and learn how to apply the standards to your teaching practice.
Please note: This course will take place in Blackboard where you will find all virtual session information, course materials, and additional resources. You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive an email with further instructions as the course date approaches.
- Novice and experienced ESOL teachers and program directors who want to build confidence and competence in using the MA ELPS to guide instructional planning and delivery
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
The MA ELPS integrate English language development and college and career readiness into one comprehensive document. In this in-depth, interactive workshop, you will gain familiarity with how the MA ELPS are organized in order to easily locate the information you need; identify benchmarks that align with your students’ goals and your lessons’ objectives; and use the MA ELPS to help plan rigorous, relevant, and engaging ESOL instruction.
The workshop begins with a self-directed session of preliminary activities to establish a foundational understanding of the MA ELPS document. The first virtual session focuses on how to plan units and lessons so that learning objectives connect to the MA ELP standards, benchmarks, and threads. In the self-directed session that follows, you will dive deeper into the document and use the MA ELPS to plan your own units and lessons. The final virtual session provides an opportunity to reflect together on the integration of the MA ELPS into the planning and delivery of ESOL instruction, with a discussion of how to use the standards to support remote instruction.
Course opens: Thursday September 15, 2022
Virtual Facilitated session 1: Thursday September 22, 2:00pm-4:00pm
Independent learning session: September 22-29, 2022
Virtual facilitated session 2: Thursday, September 29, 2022, 2:00pm-3:30pm
- Locate relevant information in the MA ELPS with ease
- Identify benchmarks that promote rigor in ESOL instruction
- Align unit goals with the MA ELPS
- Use the MA ELPS to plan rigorous, relevant, and engaging ESOL lessons
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Familiarity with the MA ELPS, for example from viewing the Overview of the MA ELPS:
- Ability to participate in a Zoom meeting