This two-part workshop focuses on integrating all language skills to provide rigorous, MA ELPS-aligned lessons that support the academic and professional success of advanced level English learners in both remote and in-person classrooms.
Please note: This course will take place in Blackboard where you will find all virtual session information, course materials, and additional resources. You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email one to two days before the course begins with instructions on how to access the Zoom session. If you do not receive these instructions, please check your Spam folder and/or send an email to email@example.com.
- Instructors of high-intermediate and advanced adult English learners
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
In this two-part online workshop on Blackboard, we explore how to integrate all language skills to provide rigorous, content-based lessons for advanced English learners. We consider how to implement lessons in both in-person and online instructional contexts, identifying online tools most appropriate to supporting learners’ ability to meet targeted outcomes and to develop digital literacy skills. A focus of the sessions is on building metacognitive awareness as well as academic and professional language skills for authentic and purposeful communication. Participants will acquire skills for aligning a lesson’s focus and objectives to MA ELPS benchmarks.
Follow-up coaching is available through the SABES ESOL PD Center to support you in integrating new tools and strategies into your teaching practice. To arrange a coach, please contact the PD Center Director, Dori McCormack at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Explain the role metacognitive strategies play in language learning
- Promote integration of all four language skills: listening, speaking, reading, writing
- Identify the metacognitive strategies needed to access different text types
- Develop tasks and lessons that lead to rich, integrated final products
- Select and use digital tools effectively to enhance student learning and promote digital literacy
- Prioritize MA ELPS benchmarks that align to a lesson’s objectives and focus
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
Ability to participate in a Zoom meeting