This course explores the cultivation of a reflective teaching practice for professional growth. We will engage in online discussions and face-to-face sessions to practice multiple reflective activities. You will be able to apply what you learn to set professional development goals and create a professional development plan.
Please note: This course will take place in Blackboard where you will find all virtual session information, course materials, and additional resources. You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email one or two days before the course begins with instructions on how to access the Zoom session. If you do not receive these instructions, please check your Spam folder and/or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ESOL teachers interested in cultivating a reflective teaching practice and professional growth
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
This blended course provides ESOL teachers with an opportunity to explore their professional growth with guidance, support, and structure. It begins with a self-paced module that introduces ESOL Professional Standard 7: Professional Growth, from the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult ESOL. The course helps teachers answer the guiding questions posed in Professional Standard 7:
- What can I do to enhance student learning?
- How do I know if my professional learning is having a positive impact on my students?
- How does a reflective practice strengthen my teaching?
The first virtual session focuses on self-reflection and the analysis of student work and data as the starting point for one’s professional learning journey. We will explore several reflection models and definitions and experience several reflective activities. We will also look at examples of student work and data and analyze how we might use this information as part of our reflective teaching practice.
In the next self-paced module, you will set professional development goals and develop a PD plan based on your reflections and analyses. The module includes a reading about elements of high-quality professional development and a menu of PD options to inform planning. You will also share your reflections, goals, and plans with other participants through an online discussion board.
In the final virtual session, you will consider ways to assess the impact of professional learning on instruction and on your students. We explore peer classroom observations, student feedback and performance, and continued reflection, using the ESOL Professional Standard 7 as a self-assessment tool. We also plan next steps for our continuous professional growth.
Each module is 2 hours long for a total of 8 PD hours for this PD event.
The SABES ESOL PD Center offers coaching to follow up on this PD event. If you are interested in arranging a coach, please contact Dori McCormack at email@example.com.
- Explain the steps in a professional growth cycle as outlined in the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult ESOL (i.e., reflection, analysis of student work and data, PD planning, participation in high quality PD, and self-assessment)
- Describe models of reflection (by Brookfield, Kolb, Gibb, and Driscoll) and outline practical applications in your current practice
- Engage in a reflective cycle to explore awareness, stance, knowledge, and skills of the Sample Applications in Standard 7 of the Massachusetts Professional Standards for Teachers of Adult Speakers of Other Languages
- Draft professional development goals and a PD plan
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: