Explore evidence-based reading instruction (EBRI) techniques for teaching general academic (Tier 2) vocabulary to adults at the ABE and ASE levels (GLE 4-12).
- ELA teachers and tutors of adult learners reading at the intermediate and secondary levels (GLE 4-12)
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
Knowledge of academic (Tier 2) vocabulary is critical for learners to succeed on the HiSET/GED and in college and careers. Explore engaging and evidence-based approaches for selecting words, designing explicit instruction, providing meaningful practice, and assessing learning. We will share strategies and resources appropriate for remote and in-person classes.
Participants will receive 2 PD hours in LACES upon completion of this session.
Please note: You cannot access this session from the SABES website. You will receive an email from Zoe Reinecke of the ELA PD Center 1–2 days before the session with instructions on how to access the Zoom session.
For more information, please contact Zoe Reinecke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Explain what Tier 2 words are and why they are an essential part of reading instruction for intermediate ABE and ASE students (GLE 4-12)
- Select appropriate Tier 2 words for instruction
- Implement key EBRI approaches for teaching Tier 2 vocabulary and assessing learning, in-person and remotely
- Access print and online resources
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: