How can digital tools be used to efficiently and successfully carry out recruitment, assessment of students’ digital literacy strengths and needs, onboarding, and orientation? In this two-part offering, you will learn about tools and the research-based strategies for using them to create an inclusive and supportive culture for welcoming new learners into your program and preparing them for success.
After completing the components of this professional development, you will come away with a plan to implement according to your program’s class format(s): in person, distance education, and/or hybrid (a combination of in-person and distance education).
If you have sources or practices to recommend, please come ready to share.
Questions? Contact Diana Satin at email@example.com.
- Teachers, advisors, coordinators, directors, and anyone especially at the novice proficiency level involved in recruitment, assessment of student digital literacy skills and needs, and orientation to using digital resources for classes in any format
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
Part 1: Workshop
During the synchronous webinar, you will explore specific strategies and digital tools for finding and connecting with potential students, assessing their digital literacy strengths and needs, and helping them to have a positive start using digital devices in your classes. Working with the other participants, you will have time during the session to explore the resources and to begin to develop a plan for your own next steps.
Part 2: Applying Your Learning
After the workshop, you will finish your draft plan with the support of your colleagues and the facilitator who will be available to work directly with you (and your program colleagues, if desired).
Several days before the event, Jane Brandt at firstname.lastname@example.org will send you an email with the Zoom link.
This session is one in a series of Digital Literacy Tools With a Purpose workshops designed to help teachers and other staff identify and use technology resources and tools for specific purposes. Other events in this series include:
- Digital Literacy Tools With a Purpose: Getting Discounted Connectivity, Devices, and Assistive Equipment for Students, Staff, and Programs: October 27, 2023, 1:30–3:30 p.m.
- Digital Literacy Tools With a Purpose: Assessments for Students With Beginner-Level English Skills: November 17, 2023,10–11:30 a.m.
- Digital Literacy Tools With a Purpose: Advising for Career Planning & Job Search: January 19, 2024 from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
If you’re interested in digital literacy, be sure to check out our Digital Literacy Discussion from the SABES Program Support PD Center.
To receive alerts for similar events, make sure you’re signed up for notifications. Sign into your SABES account, click the “My Account” tab, select the “My Notifications” tab, and check off "Program Support-Digital Literacy."
- Evaluate digital tools for effective recruitment, assessment of digital literacy readiness, and orientation
- Consider strategies for selecting and using digital tools to assist with effective recruitment and onboarding of new students
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: