Learn how to administer and interpret diagnostic reading assessments for adult learners, how to build individual reading profiles, and how to use this information to plan effective evidence-based reading instruction (EBRI). This course will include how to remotely conduct a diagnostic reading assessment, including the background questionnaire and assessments of Word Reading, Oral Vocabulary, and Oral Reading Fluency.
STAR-trained practitioners do not need to take this course, but can choose to do so as a refresher.
- ELA teachers
- Program staff involved with assessing the reading levels of adult learners
- Anyone wishing to fulfill the prerequisite for further EBRI PD offerings
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
EBRI: Diagnostic Assessment of Reading focuses on diagnostic assessment of adult learners' reading strengths and instructional needs. The strategies presented will also help students who are struggling or who have learning challenges.
EBRI is a set of practices, grounded in research and professional wisdom, for teaching the four essential components of reading (alphabetics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension) to adult learners. WIOA specifies that “the essential components of reading instruction” be incorporated into instruction. This PD offering is a prerequisite for all further EBRI trainings.
Complete all four parts of this course in order to receive 10 PD hours. This course is eligible for PDPs.
Part 1: Online self-paced modules (6 hours)
- The relationship between diagnostic assessment and EBRI
- Administering freely available individual assessments in alphabetics, fluency, and vocabulary
- How to remotely conduct a diagnostic reading assessment
- Using learners’ diagnostic reading profiles to determine their strengths and instructional needs (i.e., which components to emphasize and at what level)
Part 2: Practicum (2.5 hours)
- Administer a diagnostic assessment for reading
- Post your results and notes on the course discussion board
- Review the results and notes of your fellow practitioners.
Part 3: Zoom session, 3/27/2024, 1:00-2:30 p.m. (1.5 hours)
- Present assessments and learner profiles
- Discuss the various learner profiles with the group and share assessment experiences and insights
- Discuss the case study
- Discuss some of the challenges faced in implementing diagnostic assessments and possible solutions to those challenges
Please note: This course is not accessible from the SABES website. Once you have registered and your completion of the prerequisite is verified, you will receive a separate email from Zoe Reinecke (email@example.com) with instructions on how to access the course.
- Explain why diagnostic assessment is critical to EBRI
- Administer and interpret diagnostic assessments in alphabetics, fluency, and vocabulary
- Create a learner's reading profile, based on the learner's assessment results and MAPT reading score
- Summarize assessment results to inform classroom groupings and instruction
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- Overview of EBRI (find and register) or STAR training
Online (Moodle and Zoom)