In this two-hour interactive Zoom session, instructors explore ways to integrate basic Zoom tools into engaging virtual English language instruction for learners using computers and hand-held devices.
Please note: You will access Zoom and other support materials via Blackboard. You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College 1-2 days before the course begins with instructions on how to access the Blackboard course and the Zoom session.
- ESOL instructors of all levels with a Zoom account and basic understanding of the Zoom platform (see prerequisites below)
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
In this highly interactive session, you will explore and practice ways to support your ESOL learners' language development and digital literacy using basic Zoom features to:
- Gather and report data (using views and polls)
- Brainstorm, categorize and rank information (using the chat and whiteboard)
- Reach consensus in discussions (using breakout rooms)
Following a series of demonstrations, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with your colleagues to develop one or more of the activities for your students' level.
- Identify ways to use Zoom views, polls, chat, and whiteboard to engage students and enhance English language learning and digital literacy
- Create one or more practice activities for students using basic Zoom features
- Make use of Zoom's breakout rooms to increase learners' language development and provide opportunities for collaboration
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
- A Zoom account (to practice with)
- Familiarity with the location of the tools on the control bar on both the device you will use to teach AND your smartphone. Please view the tiny video Zoom Basic Features: Smartphone Features in the ESOL Classroom if you are not familiar with Zoom on Smartphones.