In this two-part session, delivered on Zoom, you will learn how to use the most important features of Google Classroom, experiencing the tool as both as an English learner and ESOL teacher. You will need a Google account to participate.
Please note: You will access Zoom and other support materials via Blackboard. You cannot access this online course through the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College 1-2 days before the course begins with instructions on how to access the Blackboard course and Zoom session. If you do not receive these instructions, please check your Spam folder and/or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teachers of adult ESOL learners of any proficiency level
- ESOL teachers with novice to intermediate experience using Google apps (Docs, Forms)
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
A learning management system (LMS) can help keep the content and materials in a virtual classroom well-structured and organized. Google offers its free version of an LMS in the form of Google Classroom. For teachers and students with Google accounts, this application is readily available for use. Google Classroom allows students and teachers to stay in communication, while providing access to materials and immediate feedback on assignments, all in one place.
In Part One – Experiencing Google Classroom as an ESOL Student, you will:
- Join a class in Google Classroom
- View and respond to classwork
- Share information with other class members
- Share information via private comments
In Part Two - Experiencing Google Classroom as an ESOL Teacher, you will:
- Create a class within the Google Classroom app
- Communicate Google Classroom features to English learners
- Invite people to join the class (as teachers or students)
- Change the settings of the class
- Create and assign classwork
- Enable the Google Meet feature for distance learning
- You will need to have access to a Gmail account for this training. If you do not currently have a Google account you can create one for free at https://www.google.com.
- These sessions will be offered via Zoom. Although Zoom is mobile-friendly, you will greatly enhance your experience by participating on a laptop or desktop computer.
- Create an ESOL class and change settings of a class
- Create materials and submit assignments to ESOL students enrolled in a class
- Participate in discussions and respond to assignments within Google Classroom from the point of view of a student
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to:
A Google email account