In this two-part session, delivered on Zoom, you will learn how to use the most important features of Google Classroom to organize a remote class, communicate with students, and have students access the course and communicate with you. You will experience the tool as both an English learner and ESOL teacher. You will need a Google account to participate.
Please note: You will access Zoom and other support materials via Blackboard. You cannot access the online course from the SABES website. You will receive a separate email from Joanne Harrington at Quinsigamond Community College one to two days before the course begins with instructions on how to access the Blackboard course and the Zoom session.
- Teachers of adult ESOL learners of any proficiency level
- ESOL teachers with novice to intermediate experience using Google applications (Docs, Forms)
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
A learning management system (LMS) can help keep the content and materials in a virtual classroom well-structured, organized, and accessible for both learners and teachers. Google offers its free version of an LMS in the form of Google Classroom. Through participating in a remote class in Google Classroom, learners develop both their digital literacy and language skills by accessing and exploring digital class materials, navigating sites linked from the course to gather information, communicating and collaborating with classmates in a digital format, and responding to digital assignments and receiving feecback from their instructor.
In Part One: Experiencing Google Classroom as an ESOL Student, you will:
- Join a class in Google Classroom
- View and respond to classwork
- Share information with other class members
- Share information via private comments
In Part Two: Experiencing Google Classroom as an ESOL Teacher, you will:
- Create a class within the Google Classroom app
- Communicate Google Classroom features to English learners
- Invite people to join the class (as teachers or students)
- Change the settings of the class
- Create and assign classwork
- Enable the Google Meet feature for distance learning
- You will need to have access to a Gmail account for this training. If you do not currently have a Google account you can create one for free at https://www.google.com.
- These sessions will be offered via Zoom. Although Zoom is mobile friendly, you will greatly enhance your experience by participating on a laptop or desktop computer.
- Create an ESOL class and change settings of a class
- Create materials and submit assignments to ESOL students enrolled in a class
- Participate in discussions and respond to assignments within Google Classroom from the point of view of a student
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: