This session will introduce participants to the available national, state, and community disability services and resources that adult education providers can use with students. Resources will include funds for formal assessments, accommodations, and teaching supports. This session combines a brief presentation with small group discussion and a panel of adult education providers who will share information about the resources they have used in the state of Massachusetts.
- Advisors and instructors in the role of supporting students with disabilities
- Program directors seeking information to guide program design and staffing that complies with the ADA
- ADA Coordinators
- Any community partners including Mass Rehab staff that work closely with adult education programs
This professional development activity/course is designed for:
The session will begin with an overview of the disability assessments and supports resources available to you and your program right now. Next, through a group discussion, participants will identify their programs’ needs around assessments for learning disabilities. We will discuss ways to access funding for formal assessments, potential collaborations with private and public rehabilitation agencies, and resources available through partnerships with disability services providers.
In addition, we will analyze the role of informal assessments in understanding students' needs. Lastly, a panel of adult educators and partners will discuss their current partnerships and suggest ways to fulfill program needs around assessments for learning disabilities. Participants will walk away with an understanding of their program’s need for formal/informal assessments, and ideas on how to begin addressing those needs through the available resources.
Note: This session is being offered via Zoom. Ruzica Banovic will confirm your registration and send you the link to join the session several days prior to the event.
- Identify resources for disability- conscious programing
- Analyze the role that formal and informal assessments may play in disability inclusive programs and classrooms
- Illustrate several types of resources and community partnerships
Upon completion of this professional development activity/course, you will be able to: