Two adult education math teachers talk about using manipulatives and digital tools in remote math teaching.
The SABES Mathematics and Adult Numeracy Curriculum & Instruction PD Center is managed by the Adult Numeracy Center at TERC. Our center provides high-quality professional development (PD) so that teachers can better help adult learners understand how math is present and relevant in everyday life, and how learners can use this knowledge to improve their own lives and communities.
FEATURED RESOURCES _______________________________________________________________________________________
- CALM Support Series
- Back to School Math Resources
- Math Support for Native Language Literacy and Spanish HSE Teachers
- Resources for remote instruction
- Information and resources related to COVID-19
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for Math resources
Looking for information on the Curriculum for Adults Learning Math (CALM)? Visit the CALM website.
UPCOMING MATH & NUMERACY EVENTS ___________________________________________________________________________________
To register, visit the SABES Calendar.
- CALM Introduction
- BeCALM Part 2 Operation Sense: Remote-Ready Curriculum for Beginning Math Students (GLE 2–4)
- Estimation for Understanding: Teaching Estimation as a Way to Develop Number Sense
- CALM Support Series: Area Models
- Celebrating the Diversity of Mathematical Minds
- CALM Support Series: Proportional Reasoning
- Numeracy Routines That Develop Language
- CALM Introduction
- BeCALM Geometry: Remote-Ready Curriculum for Beginning Math Students (GLE 2–4)
Summaries of all the PD workshops and courses we are able to offer can be found here. Contact our Center if your program would like to request a specific event.
Here are some of the many other services we offer:
- Resources: Recently posted resources appear on this page under Math: Resources, Research, and Curriculum. Find resources by using the search box located at the top of this page, by selecting the Resource Library link at the top of this page, or by going directly to one of our curated collection pages:
- Research, including effective teaching practices
- Standards, including our Overview, which illustrates how standards develop across levels
- Curriculum, including sample instructional units*
- Instruction, including teaching ideas for LD students and lessons from Statistics in Action
- Resources for remote instruction, including tips on how to use them in math classes
- Mathematics Proficiency Guide
- News: Check for news under Math: What’s New, and select Sign Up for Notifications to arrange for email alerts about newly posted news, resources, and PD opportunities.
- Our blog: Check out the monthly blogs, written by our team and by teachers who have worked with our PD Center.
Contact us: Would you like to bring math PD to your program, suggest a resource, or ask a question? We’re here! Contact our director, Heidi Schuler-Jones, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or email email@example.com.
Math & Numeracy: Upcoming Events
This online facilitated session explores how teachers of adult learners can vary content, instructional processes, and assessments of learning outcomes...
BeCALM (Beginning Curriculum for Adults Learning Math) contains remote-ready units for adult learners who need math instruction at beginning levels...
Do your students struggle with fractions? Do you find students asking to be shown the steps “just one more time”...
Math and Numeracy: Videos
To see this video in a larger window, click here.
In this video, adult English learners talk about the kind of math instruction that has helped them understand and retain what they have learned in math class.
Math & Numeracy: Resources, Research and Curriculum
This resource is a practice brief on effective instructional practices and examples for teaching math to English learners (ELs) produced by the U.…
INSTRUCTION _______________________________________________________________ Visit our new Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for Math resource page…
Problem-based learning is a student-centered instructional approach that engages students in collaboratively solving an open-ended problem. This…