Two adult education math teachers talk about using manipulatives and digital tools in remote math teaching.
The SABES Mathematics and Adult Numeracy Curriculum & Instruction PD Center is managed by the Adult Numeracy Center at TERC. Our center provides high-quality professional development (PD) so that teachers can better help adult learners understand how math is present and relevant in everyday life, and how learners can use this knowledge to improve their own lives and communities.
FEATURED RESOURCES _______________________________________________________________________________________
- Math Support for Native Language Literacy and Spanish HSE Teachers
- Resources for remote instruction
- Information and resources related to COVID-19
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for Math resources
Looking for information on the Curriculum for Adults Learning Math (CALM)? Visit the CALM website.
UPCOMING MATH & NUMERACY EVENTS ___________________________________________________________________________________
To register, visit the SABES Calendar.
- English Learners in the ABE Math Classroom
- Using Math to Identify and Impact Social Justice Issues in Our Lives
- CALM Support Series: Fractions, Decimals, and Percents - Operations
- Celebrating the Diversity of Mathematical Minds
Summaries of all the PD workshops and courses we are able to offer can be found here. Contact our Center if your program would like to request a specific event.
Here are some of the many other services we offer:
- Resources: Recently posted resources appear on this page under Math: Resources, Research, and Curriculum. Find resources by using the search box located at the top of this page, by selecting the Resource Library link at the top of this page, or by going directly to one of our curated collection pages:
- Research, including effective teaching practices
- Standards, including our Overview, which illustrates how standards develop across levels
- Curriculum, including sample instructional units*
- Instruction, including teaching ideas for LD students and lessons from Statistics in Action
- Resources for remote instruction, including tips on how to use them in math classes
- Mathematics Proficiency Guide
- News: Check for news under Math: What’s New, and select Sign Up for Notifications to arrange for email alerts about newly posted news, resources, and PD opportunities.
- Our blog: Check out the monthly blogs, written by our team and by teachers who have worked with our PD Center.
Contact us: Would you like to bring math PD to your program, suggest a resource, or ask a question? We’re here! Contact our director, Heidi Schuler-Jones, at email@example.com, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Math and Numeracy: Videos
To see this video in a larger window, click here.
In this video, adult English learners talk about the kind of math instruction that has helped them understand and retain what they have learned in math class.
Math & Numeracy: Resources, Research and Curriculum
ACLS-funded programs have access to a statewide Newsela account for use in their programs in FY22 & FY23. What is Newsela? Newsela takes…
The Change Agent provides a wealth of timely and relevant material for adult education students and teachers. Its social justice focus is…
When it comes to the four basic operations, division is often the one that students find the most difficult. Many adult education students,…