Two adult education math teachers talk about using manipulatives and digital tools in remote math teaching.
The SABES Mathematics and Adult Numeracy Curriculum & Instruction PD Center is managed by the Adult Numeracy Center at TERC. Our center provides high-quality professional development (PD) so that teachers can better help adult learners understand how math is present and relevant in everyday life, and how learners can use this knowledge to improve their own lives and communities.
FEATURED RESOURCES _______________________________________________________________________________________
- CALM Support Series
- Back to School Math Resources
- Math Support for Native Language Literacy and Spanish HSE Teachers
- Resources for remote instruction
- Information and resources related to COVID-19
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for Math resources
Looking for information on the Curriculum for Adults Learning Math (CALM)? Visit the CALM website.
UPCOMING MATH & NUMERACY EVENTS ___________________________________________________________________________________
To register, visit the SABES Calendar.
- Apr 6﹣26 CALM Introduction (self-paced online course) REGISTER HERE
- Apr 7﹣May 4 Using the Math Proficiency Guide to Become a More Effective Math Teacher (self-paced online course) REGISTER HERE
- Apr 11 Getting Students to Talk in Math Class (online facilitated) REGISTER HERE
- Apr 12 LD Teaching Strategies for Math (online facilitated) REGISTER HERE
- Apr 25 & 27 How Grand Is Your Total? Teaching Properties, Equality, and the Power of Place Value (online facilitated series) REGISTER HERE
- Apr 26 - May 3 Creating Your Math Classroom Culture (online blended) REGISTER HERE
- May 2﹣22 CALM Introduction (self-paced online course) REGISTER HERE
- May 3﹣23 English Learners in the ABE Math Classroom (self-paced online course) REGISTER HERE
- May 9 Building Algebra from Early Geometry Concepts (online facilitated) LINK COMING SOON
- May 17 & 24 Will This Be on the Test? (online facilitated series) LINK COMING SOON
Summaries of all the PD workshops and courses we are able to offer can be found here. Contact our Center if your program would like to request a specific event.
Here are some of the many other services we offer:
- Resources: Recently posted resources appear on this page under Math: Resources, Research, and Curriculum. Find resources by using the search box located at the top of this page, by selecting the Resource Library link at the top of this page, or by going directly to one of our curated collection pages:
- Research, including effective teaching practices
- Standards, including our Overview, which illustrates how standards develop across levels
- Curriculum, including sample instructional units*
- Instruction, including teaching ideas for LD students and lessons from Statistics in Action
- Resources for remote instruction, including tips on how to use them in math classes
- Mathematics Proficiency Guide
- News: Check for news under Math: What’s New, and select Sign Up for Notifications to arrange for email alerts about newly posted news, resources, and PD opportunities.
- Our blog: Check out the monthly blogs, written by our team and by teachers who have worked with our PD Center.
Contact us: Would you like to bring math PD to your program, suggest a resource, or ask a question? We’re here! Contact our director, Heidi Schuler-Jones, at email@example.com, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Math & Numeracy: Upcoming Events
CALM Introduction (Self-Paced Modules)
This course is designed for teachers who are using or want to use the Curriculum for Adults Learning Math (CALM)...
Using the Math Proficiency Guide to Become a More Effective Math Teacher (Self-Paced Modules)
The Mathematics Proficiency Guide for Teachers of Adult Education is one of several companion pieces to the MA Professional Standards...
Getting Students to Talk in Math Class (Online Facilitated)
Does discussion belong in math class? Yes! Talking about math leads to deeper understanding for both teachers and students. Through...
Math and Numeracy: Videos
To see this video in a larger window, click here.
In this video, adult English learners talk about the kind of math instruction that has helped them understand and retain what they have learned in math class.
Math & Numeracy: Resources, Research and Curriculum
This resource is a practice brief on effective instructional practices and examples for teaching math to English learners (ELs) produced by the U.…
This collection includes a printable teacher's guide and student packet that can be downloaded below as Word documents or PDFs. The math content…
CURRICULUM Beginning Curriculum for Adults Learning Math (BeCALM) Remote-Ready Curriculum for Beginning Math Students (GLE 2–4) series This…