The ELA FOCUS Reflections, available as embedded tools in the ELA Proficiency Guide and as separate documents on this page, provide one means for teachers to self-assess their practice in relation to the ABE Professional Standards. Teachers check off areas that they would like more information about or training around, i.e., the areas they would like to focus on in their professional learning.
New teachers or teachers who are as yet unfamiliar with the ELA Proficiency Guide are encouraged to engage in this reflection for each Indicator during their first reading of the ELA PG or when they take the Introduction to the PG course.
Experienced teachers may find it helpful to revisit the FOCUS reflections for particular Indicators periodically or in conjunction with the ELA Self-Evaluation Tool.
STANDARD K1 Content, Theory, and Research
- INDICATOR K1.1 Adult Basic Education
- INDICATOR K1.2 English Language Acquisition
- INDICATOR K1.3 Adult Teaching and Learning
STANDARD K2 Standards
STANDARD P1 Design and Instruction
- INDICATOR P1.1 Standards-based Units
- INDICATOR P1.2 Well-structured Lessons
- INDICATOR P1.3 Student Engagement
- INDICATOR P1.4 Meeting Diverse Needs
STANDARD P2 Assessment
- INDICATOR P2.1 Assessment Methods
- INDICATOR P2.2 Modifying Instruction
- INDICATOR P2.3 Student Progress
STANDARD C1 Growth Mindset
STANDARD C2 Reflective Practice
|Targeting Professional Learning in ELA|
|ELA Self-Evaluation Tool (ELA-SET)|
|Alignment of ABE Professional Standards With SABES ELA PD|